有关横扫千星的一切(访谈录,已翻译)

转自:http://venturebeat.com/2012/09/11/planetary-annihilation-the-most-ambitious-kickstarter/view-all/

文章翻译见2楼!

Everything you need to know about Planetary Annihilation, before it completes funding (Exclusive)

September 11, 2012 10:00 AM
A day before the Penny Arcade Expo, I went to Uber Entertainment’s studios in Kirkland, Wash. to talk to Jon Mavor, the studio’s chief technology officer and creative director for Planetary Annihilation, an upcoming real-time strategy (RTS) game that has reached it’s Kickstarter funding goal and — with just a few days left for funding — is close to doubling it. I spoke at length (you’ll be able to read the full transcript of the interview shortly) with Mavor about everything that Uber is doing. But most importantly, we discussed Planetary Annihilation, a spiritual successor to the acclaimed Total Annihilation that Mavor and a number of current Uber employees originally worked on.
(Transcription courtesy of TranscribeMe!)

Planetary Annihilation has been in concept for about three years
While Total Annihilation released back in 1997, Mavor has been playing with the concept of an interplanetary RTS for a few years. Sure, he worked on 2007′s Supreme Commander, but Mavor has toyed with ideas like hurling asteroids at planets since the development of Super Monday Night Combat. “Visualization started about three months ago,” Mavor told VentureBeat in an exclusive interview. “We’ve been working on the engine tech and thinking about the game for literally a couple of years. I’ve had the idea rolling around in my head for [at least] that long.” The technology behind the game has been in production for several years now, though, specifically on the server end thanks to UberNet.
UberNet is Uber Entertainment’s back-end server network, which the developer has been creating and refining for both its own games and third-party titles. With UberNet, Planetary Annihilation will be completely server-based.

Planetary Annihilation lets you run your own servers

Jon Mavor, the creative director on Planetary Annihilation
Mavor is adamant about making Planetary Annihilation as friendly to players as possible. Matches are persistent — one competitor can leave and not disrupt everyone else — and playable via Uber’s official servers, or users can meet up on their own servers. Through UberNet, players can access a matchmaking service where they can challenge anyone around the world, or they could choose to just start a quirky game with friends.
“This is something … that the community asked for. You can play on [Windows, Linux, and Mac]. You can set up a Linux server and then play on your PC if you want or any combination thereof. They said, ‘We want DRM-free [digital-rights management], and we want to be able to run LAN servers,’” said Mavor. And while UberNet doesn’t currently support clans or tournaments (something that the company is actively working on) users can create their own. “The difference between our official servers and end-user servers is how we set them up. [For] end-user servers, you’ll see individuals who just want to run their own games with friends, you’ll see clans, you’ll see mod servers and different kinds of gameplay,” said Mavor.
Even if you don’t have access to your own personal server, you can still play private matches on Uber’s hardware; although, you will be restricted to Uber’s rules and current game limitations.

Why Planetary Annihilation won’t receive a standard single-player campaign
While my interview with Mavor took place before the fourth stretch goal, when the developer revealed a computer-generated single-player campaign called the “Galactic War,” Mavor was very clear that Planetary Annihilation won’t feature a traditional campaign. “The emphasis [of Planetary Annihilation] is on having a good skirmish mode for the single-player. We’ve seen that a lot of people play through the campaign once or twice and then never play it for a decade. But skirmish they play all the time.”
My own experience with Total Annihilation mirrors Mavor’s sentiment, but the beauty of having a campaign is not only to share a story (a narrative background for the game), but also to teach players how to play at a professionally set pace. Mavor thinks that’s unnecessary. “Our approach on Total Annihilation was the model — kind of like the Command and Conquer model. The game hadn’t been made before. We really didn’t have any notion of what we could change and get rid of, and nowadays, we do. There’s a built-in community already that’s going to teach you bottom play. There [are] built-in community players already.” With so many fans of games like Total Annihilation or Supreme Commander, the install base for Planetary Annihilation is already set. The people putting money in the Kickstarter, according to Mavor, are the people who already know how to play or will know how to learn from the community.

Minimum specifications: currently Sandy Bridge for 2-4 players
Planetary Annihilation is being built to run on everyday computers. The minimum specs? “Anything past Sandy Bridge as far as embedded graphics go,” Mavor stated, going further to discuss how computer hardware is stabilizing around major platforms like Intel’s latest chipsets. “[Sandy Bridge is] what I’m aiming for, but we haven’t announced final specs. To some extent, it’s too early to say because maybe we will get halfway through the game and go, ‘You know what, if we just amp the specs up a little bit …’ we’re going to have a much better game. I don’t necessarily anticipate that.”
The minimum specifications for Planetary Annihilation aren’t set in stone, but last year’s Intel processors aren’t exactly a high standard for gaming. Nearly all laptops and ultrabooks made within the past year and a half use the Sandy Bridge platform or the newer Ivy Bridge processors from Intel. However, PA will support more than four players at a time, which will require more computing power. Playing on a more powerful machine will be critical.

Planetary Annihilation will support games of up to 40 players, spanning an entire solar system

“To me, that’s a whole unexplored area of gameplay that could be really cool … but we don’t know how it’s gonna work out.” Forty-player games, which Mavor spoke with PC Gamer about, is something that Uber is still actively investigating but is wholly interested in pursuing. “The 40-player game is to see what the community goes with …. I see it as being really extra super hardcore. Like, how many people want to play a game that lasts for 40 hours, or something like that?”
I was skeptical about such a massive game because as anyone who can’t sit in front of a computer to play a game for five hours at a time — let alone 40 — it doesn’t seem realistic. But because games are persistent and played through servers, players can jump in and out anytime to do things like go to work, maintain a relationship, eat, sleep, etc. And the game will continue. Players have the option to have AI take over when they leave, or the units simply carry on in the player’s absence in autopilot. Units will defend themselves when attacked and continue performing any tasks previously assigned, but they won’t play on their own.
But how would a game like that work? Mavor sees such a massive game more playable in teams — in a solar system with several planets with four or five players per world. As individuals get knocked out, the limited resources open up to the rest of the players until only a few factions remain and wage a full-scale planetary war. “But how the hell all that’s going to work out is totally speculative. I think it’s going to be really cool, but it’s never been done before.”
An interesting sidenote regarding 40-player matches: While the game is still in very early stages of development, Uber hasn’t actually played a 40-player game yet. This shouldn’t come as a surprise; the game isn’t even close to release, something Mavor is eager to remind Kickstarter funders.

“We’re not going for realism. We’re going for awesome.

Uber Entertainment’s office in Kirkland, Wash.
With so many potentially massive things available in Planetary Annihilation, I had to settle exactly what the level of realism is. Will destroying a moon change ocean currents to potentially dangerous levels? Will players be able to move entire planets and use them as weapons? Can celestial bodies be hurled into a nearby sun, or can orbits be altered to produce the same effect? Because, as Uber Entertainment’s creative director John Comes so succinctly put it, “We’re not going for realism. We’re going for awesome.”
What exactly does that mean?

Gas giants will support orbital and air units only
Originally, Uber made it clear that gas giants would have some special form of land but, for the most part, would require using only orbital and air units. But the fans weren’t having any of that. “I’m starting to go back on [ground for gas giants] because everyone’s like, ‘No, we don’t want any land,’” Mavor conceded. “Fine, that’s less work. We won’t put any land on it.”
The original idea for physical terrain on gas giants was tiny areas where commanders could build small bases, utilizing special surfaces, but because of the community outcry, the decision was made. “If you don’t want any land, we won’t put any land.”
What does that mean for how games on gas giants will work? Orbital units will play an extremely important role for resource collection, and energy can be extracted through orbital gas mines. As for the commaner’s role, that’s still undecided.

The scale of realism: planets as weapons

One of the coolest features in PA is how asteroids can be used as weapons by building engines on them and literally hurling them at planets. This raised a number of questions: What is the scale for moving heavenly bodies? Do all asteroids destroy planets upon collision? How realistic will the game be? Where is that balance?
For starters, the split for PA is in three groups: realism, awesome, and fantastical. For the moment, all game features fluctuate between the former two, so ideas like putting engines on a gas giant are out of the question. One funny theoretical question Mavor heard from the forums was landing — meaning not crashing — an asteroid on a planet to mine for additional resources and act as a barricade. In theory, it’s possible; in practice, “good luck.”
But how about moving planets altogether? Even if you cover the entire side of the planet with engines, “The simple answer is, there is no simple answer. Small planets … there’s a possibility. Big planets … I don’t think you’re going to be moving them.” That is to say, players can put as many engines as they want on a planet, but if the math doesn’t add up, it won’t have any effect.
“You can put engines on whatever you want […] but if there’s no delta-v, then there’s not enough to move the thing.”

Shooting stars and real stars
What about the sun? Can units or asteroids be tossed into the biggest furnace in the solar system? “No, they’re just background” — only there for visual effect.
Asteroids, however, have a pleasant medium that players can reach. With skirmishes planned on single-planet systems, it doesn’t make sense to just destroy the 99 percent of land mass in the solar system when most of your units are on it. “I’m trying to design the engine in such a way that it’s as flexible as I can possibly make it. You could theoretically have something blow up half the planet, and then the other half is still playable. I have ideas on how this is gonna work, but I don’t want to promise too much exactly because some of them are theoretical. But that’s the direction that I’m pushing for: that they eat away at these planets.”

Interplanetary Weapons

From the initial Kickstarter video, we were introduced to the concept of firing units from asteroids or other planets. In both Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander, there were major attack units that could fire across entire maps. That’ll be available in PA, too.
“There’s no reason why we can’t have big guns that shoot between planets or missiles that go between planets,” Mavor said. “There are going to be weapons that have interplanetary range. It’ll be limited, though. They won’t go halfway across the solar system.” So it is reasonable to expect weapons like the acclaimed Big Bertha or nuclear missile silos shooting between planets or even in minor orbital bombardments from orbiting asteroids.
That is to say, players can put weapons on an asteroid and have it orbit a planet, dropping heavy fire and combat units directly onto enemy bases. “You can cruise around a planet, fire off all your missiles, and then you’re [safe]. There are different strategic options here. So in some ways this space combat is like moving actual elements of the system around. These asteroids are your spaceships, in a way.”

But Planetary Annihilation is not a space-combat game
Don’t be fooled into thinking that PA has any space combat. All combat is ground-based. This game is not meant to be like Homeworld. “A lot of people ask for space combat, and it’s not really part of the vision for this game. It would be a whole separate game. It’s something we can try and develop and do later on in releases and expansions, but the only things I’m promising are the technological things that I know I could do and gameplay that I know is fun. That’s really what PA is all about.”
That said, space travel is part of the game — to send units between worlds and asteroids. This is more like a taxi ride. “There are different ways to move between planets, but the emphasis is on the planet, not the stuff that’s happening in between. There aren’t going to be big space armadas. It would be things that are in transit. [The focus] is on ground-based combat and orbital combat.”

What about super weapons? What about the Krogoth?
Total Annihilation fans will all remember the Krogoth, the impossibly massive killing machine that was by far the most dangerous unit ever conceived in an RTS. Such units will be in the game, but they are still under development. “I don’t have a problem with tech 3 like a Krogoth or some cool big units like that. We’re just not going to have a whole set of tech 3 units.” Players should expect some uniquely powerful units like the Krogoth, but there won’t be a major disparity between the different tech levels for units or between different factions.

Create your own solar system with the Procedural Map Editor

Playing on professionally made maps is great, but Uber is going to give players the ability to make their own maps and rate the best ones through UberNet. The Procedural Map Editor is expected to be an immensely powerful tool that will allow players to determine how big is the system, how many planets, how many asteroids, etc. Then individual planets will have slider tools for how much water versus land, forests versus mountains, and other broad parameters. Once those basic parameters are set, the general solar system is built, and players can go in-depth, editing finer details like roads, mountain ranges, etc. All maps can be saved and uploaded to UberNet’s servers to be voted on.

Multiple windows for a complete mission control display
Supreme Commander and several other RTS games supported multiple windows, and so will PA. The difference with PA is the limit to how many windows a player has based on your computer’s horsepower and network speed. Multiple windows allow players to see sections of the game map. “You can do whatever you want,” said Mavor with a funny grin. “If you open 20 windows, it’s going to go really slow, right? That comes under the heading of scalability.
“We’re not guaranteeing that [multiple windows] work on the minimum specifications by any stretch. The more windows you open up, the more bandwidth you need and the faster computer you need.” That’s because every new window reveals another section of the in-game map, which spans across an entire solar system. “That’s part of the reason why we’re supporting multiple windows. The bigger these battles are, the harder it is to manage.”
Players will be able to use both multiple displays (no limit to how many) and multiple windows (again, no limit), but each new window will require both additional computing power and Internet bandwidth to view properly. With more than four players, having multiple windows open will drive the minimum requirements up from a simple Sandy Bridge ultrabook to a very serious gaming rig. As of this writing, Uber hasn’t conducted enough testing to determine what the minimum spec will be for more players and multiple windows.

PC only today, but a future for tablets?
Mavor and I discussed the RTS genre and consoles, much to our displeasure, and he has no interest in bringing the PA to consoles, simply stating, “I don’t see how it would work.” What about mobile? “Not smartphones — they’re too small, but tablets maybe. It’s a possibility. It’s not the focus. I don’t see any reason why it wouldn’t work. I can see it down the road …. I think it could be pretty cool, actually.”

It isn’t Total Annihilation, but not for a lack of trying
Total Annihilation is a brand that, unfortunately, disappeared. The simple reason is that Atari owns the franchise. GT Interactive, the original publisher of Total Annihilation, was bought by Infogames, which ultimately bought the Atari name and became Atari. Yet the newly minted Atari hasn’t attempted to sell the franchise, and Mavor has spoken to the company about ownership of the brand, but they never reached an agreement.
“A lot of people have tried to get the rights to [Total Annihilation] from Atari over the years, but nobody has succeeded. I think it’s because they want too much, but they have never given me a number.”
That means that for TA fans, the names of the units will change, but the general style of gameplay will not. “They didn’t [sue us] with Supreme Commander. We’re not trying to make a sequel; we’re not saying this is Total Annihilation 2.”

Why use Kickstarter and not go with a publisher?
“We wanted to make the game for the fans. We don’t make it for a publisher. We don’t sit down and say, ‘What’s the game that would make the most money?’ We say, ‘What’s the game that we can make that would be the most fun?’ And I see the game as fan service, and me being a fan, I’m one of the people getting the service.
“A publisher would muck it up. I guarantee it. I mean, maybe there’s a publisher that wouldn’t. I haven’t met them yet. Our concern is making a fun game; their concern is making money.”
Planetary Annihilation is in its final days of Kickstarter funding, which ends on Friday, Sept. 14 at 12:20 PST.

b在资金募集成功之际,有关横扫千星的一切[/b]
在西雅图游戏展的前一天,我来到Uber公司,和他们的首席技术官也就是横扫千星的创作总监Mavor举行了亲切会晤。Mavor很开心,他的亲儿子——横扫千星的奶粉钱有着落了。在献爱心活动还剩几天的时候,Mavor惊喜地发现大家捐献的奶粉钱已经接近目标的两倍——或许他可以考虑再生个女儿。会上我和Mavor喋喋不休扯了很多,喜欢唐僧的童鞋可以去看录音自动转换的文本。当然,最重要的是以下内容,关于横扫千星,TA精神继承者的详细报道。

横扫千星已经怀胎三年!
早在TA在97年发布以前,Mavor就花了几年时间在玩一个行星际规模的即时战略游戏。当然,他参加了07年的最高指挥官项目。但自从超级星期一大格斗(Uber公司出品的游戏,下文有张工作室照片,墙上贴的就是该游戏的海报)之后,Mavor就迷上了诸如扔个小行星去砸行星这样好玩的想法。在VentureBeat的专访中,Mavor说:“整个项目大概在三个月前开始有些模样出来,而事实上我们已经花了数年时间来开发游戏引擎和相关内容,至于这些东西在我脑子里跑来跑去那就是更早的事情了。”游戏所需技术已经开发了几年,特别要感谢Ubernet在服务器端的支持。Ubernet是Uber公司提供的后端服务器对战网络,游戏开发人员可以在上面发布和改进Uber公司的游戏或者其他第三方内容。在Ubernet的支持下,横扫千星将是完全基于服务器开发的。

玩家可以自行搭建横扫千星的服务器
Mavor一直坚持,对于玩家来说横扫千星应该尽可能做到完全开放(我觉得友好这词太烂了,根据下文换为开放)。游戏过程是很稳固的,即使中途有玩家离开其他玩家仍然可以继续。你可以在Uber的官方服务器上玩也可以在玩家自行搭建的服务器上玩。在Ubernet上,玩家通过配对服务可以挑战全世界的玩家,也可以和朋友快速开始游戏。
Mavor:“这是社区上一直想要的东西。你可以在几个系统上玩这个游戏,不管是Windows、Linux还是Mac。玩家可以建立一个Linux服务器然后在PC上玩,或者其它任意的组合。社区上的玩家一直在叫‘不要数字版权保护,我们要自己搞LAN服务器’。”由于Ubernet目前还在开发对氏族和锦标赛的支持,玩家大可自己建立相关内容。“官方服务器和玩家自建服务器的区别只是如何设定服务器规则。在玩家服务器上,你可以体验一些可能只想和朋友分享的、更个性化的内容,比如氏族模式、MOD主机和别的玩法。”
即使你自己没法建一个服务器,你也可以通过Ubernet开始私人游戏,只是你需要遵守相关的规则和限制。

为何横扫千星将不会有单人战役
作为第四个挑战性目标,开发者们展示了一段名为“银河大战”的单人战役CG。我跟Mavor的访谈是在此之前进行的,当时Mavor非常肯定横扫千星不会把传统战役作为重点。“横扫千星的重点在于给单机玩家一个不错的遭遇战模式。有很多玩家把战役通关一两遍之后就再也不碰了,但他们会一直玩遭遇战。”
我自己在TA上的经历验证了Mavor的观点,但战役的妙处不仅在于讲一个故事来解释游戏发生的背景,还能够手把手教会玩家如何玩这个游戏。Mavor觉得那无关紧要。“TA的方法就是最好的模板——就像C&C那种风格”之前游戏还没有开始制作,我们对于改变和舍弃什么东西完全没有概念,但现在我们知道要怎么做。游戏已经内嵌一个教会玩家基本玩法的社区模块。我们已经找到了合适的社区玩家来做这件事。由于TA和最高系列有如此多的粉丝,横扫千星所面向的客户群已经确定。按照Mavor的说法,向他捐钱的人要么知道怎么玩,要么通过社区模块能够学到怎么玩。

最低配置:现有的Sandy Bridge架构可供2-4人对战
横扫千星将可以在普通电脑上玩。那么最低配置呢?“只要是Sandy Bridge架构以上甚至嵌入式图形芯片的机器都可以。”Mavor解释道,并进一步讨论了主要平台(例如Intel的最新芯片组)下计算机硬件的稳定性。“我依据Sandy Bridge架构的能力来开发横扫千星,但我们还没有宣布最终配置。在某种角度上来说,现在还太早,等到我们的进度差不多到一半的时候就比较合适。‘如果我们把配置调高一点点’,那么我们会把游戏做得更棒。我一点也不希望那样子。”
横扫千星的最低配置还不是非常确定,但去年的Intel处理器对于玩游戏来说算不上高配置标准。最近一年半推出的几乎所有笔记本、超级本都使用了Intel的Sandy Bridge平台甚至是更新的Ivy Bridg处理器平台。然而,横扫千星将支持超过4位玩家同时游戏,这需要更多的计算能力。因此我们还是需要更强力的机器。

横扫千星将支持最多40人的游戏,横跨整个太阳系
“对我来说,这是一个前所未有的游戏体验,非常酷……但我们还不知道如何做到它。”四十人参与的对战,这是Mavor跟PC Gamer提到的内容,也是Uber仍在积极开发并最想要实现的。“40人对战要看社区发展情况……我想那必须是真正的超级核心玩家。就像,有多少人想要玩一局持续40小时的对战呢?或者类似的东西。”
我很怀疑游戏是不是真的要做这么大,谁能一直坐在电脑前玩一个游戏超过5小时呢?更不要说40小时。这很虚幻。但如果游戏本身很稳固并且是基于服务器端运行的,玩家可以随时进入游戏开始玩,或随时离开游戏去工作、社交应酬、吃喝拉撒等等。而游戏是一直进行中的。玩家可以选择让AI直接接管游戏,也可以让单位在玩家离开时简单地自行活动。单位会在被攻击时防守,也会继续进行预先分配好的任务,但他们不会自己做出决策。
可是这样一个游戏该怎么进行呢?Mavor认为这样一个超大的游戏更有可能以团队形式进行——太阳系内的几个行星,每个行星都有由四五位玩家组成的世界。当某个玩家被击败后,有限的资源会向剩下的玩家开放,最终只有少数团队活下来并开展一场行星级别的大战。“但究竟游戏怎么运作还在摸索中。这是非常酷的,但游戏还没有做出来。”
一个关于40人对战的有趣旁注:虽然游戏还是在早期开发阶段,但Uber公司事实上从未做过这样的游戏。因此Mavor一直希望各位奶粉赞助人主注意的是:距离游戏发布还有很长一段时间。

我们要的不是真实,而是吓尿你
横扫千星将可能拥有的这么多超大物体,让我不得不想想这游戏要带来何种程度的真实感。轰掉月亮会改变洋流从而带来潜在的危险吗?玩家可以拿整个行星当武器使吗?天体会被扔到一边的太阳里吗,或者改变它们的轨道来达到同样的效果?因为,就像Mavor简单明了的说法,“我们不是要做到多么真实,只是要一种非常令人惊叹的效果。”
这究竟算啥?

气态行星上只能部署轨道单位或空军
原本Uber很明确气态行星上将会有特殊形态的陆地,但在大部分时候将只使用轨道单位和空军。但粉丝们一点都不买账。“我一开始觉得大家都喜欢回到陆地上去,‘不,我们不要陆地’,那好吧,这样我们又可以少干点活。气态行星上不会有陆地。”
原本的设想是气态行星上的自然地貌将会有微小区域供指挥官建立小型基地,利用特殊的地表,但鉴于社区的抗议浪潮,最终Uber决定:“没人想要陆地,我们就不放陆地上去。”
那么如何在气态行星上进行游戏呢?轨道单位将会在资源收集方面扮演非常重要的角色,轨道气体采集器将能够直接开采行星上的能量。而指挥官的作用还没有确定。

真实感:用行星当武器
横扫千星最酷的特色就是将小行星作为武器,这是通过在小行星上建造引擎把它们逐渐推向行星来实现的。这里有很多疑问:移动天体能到什么程度呢?所有的小行星都能通过碰撞来毁灭行星吗?游戏将会达到何种逼真程度?如何在游戏性和真实度两方面取得平衡?
首先,横扫千星应该分成三个部分:真实感的部分、令人惊叹的部分和幻想的部分。一直以来,所有的游戏特色都是在前两者之间摇摆,所以一些无厘头的想法暂时还不会考虑,比如在气态行星上建造引擎之类的。Mavor在论坛上看到的最有意思的学术问题是关于着陆的,也就是说不发生碰撞,一个小行星降落在行星上作为特大号资源矿点和超大的屏障。理论上这是可行的,实践的话只能祝你好运了。
那要是把行星搬到一起呢?即使你行星的一边整个铺满了引擎,“简单地说,这没法用两句话说清楚。小行星的话还有点可能,大行星的话就……我想没人会移动大行星。”也就是说,玩家可以在行星上随便造引擎,但如果引擎的推力没有形成合力,就没有任何效果。
“你可以在任何天体上建造引擎,但如果没有形成变轨推力,你就无法移动任何东西。”

流星雨和真正的恒星
那太阳呢?单位或者小行星能够砸向这个太阳系的大火炉吗?“不,那只是背景”——只是一些视觉效果。
但是,玩家有一种很有趣的方法来利用小行星。在限于单个行星体系内进行的对战中,摧毁99%的地面毫无意义,因为你的大多数单位也在这上面。“我在设法让游戏引擎尽可能地在灵活性上达到极致。理论上你可以通过某种方法爆掉半个行星,剩下的那一半则还可以继续用。我已经有了初步的设想,但那只是理论上而言所以我不会很精确地描绘这些。但这是我努力的方向:把行星侵蚀掉。”

行星级武器
最初的寻募视频中,Uber引入了单位从小行星和其他行星上开火的概念。在TA和最高系列中,大杀器的射程能够覆盖整张地图。横扫千星也一样有这样的单位。
“我们没有理由不设计那种在行星之间轰来轰去的超极大炮和导弹。”Mavor说,“行星级武器肯定会有的。但是将有所限制。最大射程为半个太阳系。”玩家可以期待看到在行星之间互射的武器,类似威名赫赫的BB和核弹发射井,甚至还有从环绕轨道天体发起的近地轨道轰炸。
那意味着,玩家可以把某个天体部署到行星环绕轨道上,以此为基地直接对敌军基地发起猛烈攻击和投放战斗单位。“你可以在行星上四处巡航,把导弹都射出去,然后世界就清静了。”你可以有不同的战略选择。有时候这种太空战斗就是如何移动体系中的物体。从某个角度来说,这些小行星就是你的太空战舰。

但横扫千星不是一个太空战斗游戏
不要错误地以为横扫千星会有太空战。所有的战斗都是陆基发起的。这个游戏并不是像家园那样的太空RTS。很多玩家要求加入太空战,但目前的游戏版本不会有这部分内容。这将是一个另外的单独的游戏。我们会在后续内容和资料片中尝试这些。我唯一能承诺的是我所知道的我能做到的技术,以及这是一个好玩的游戏。这就是横扫千星的全部。
那就是说,星际旅行是游戏的一部分——在各个世界和小行星之间输送单位。这更像是打的。“行星间往来有不同的方式,但重点在行星上,而不是行星间的太空。没有什么太空无敌舰队。会有些运输状态中的物体。重点在于地基发起的战斗和轨道战斗。”

超级武器呢?老K(柯古斯)呢?
TA的粉丝们都记得老K,那个不可思议的巨大杀戮机器,RTS有史以来最强大的单位。横扫千星会有类似的单位,但还在构思中。“我对于一个老K那样的又大又酷的T3单位没有任何意见。但我们不会有一整列的T3单位。”玩家可以期待像老K那样独特的强力单位。但不同的科技级别之间或不同的阵营间不会有巨大的差异。

通过地图编辑器来创造你自己的太阳系
在官方地图上玩当然很好,但Uber打算让玩家可以自己制作地图同时Ubernet将会对这些地图进行评分。地图编辑器将是一个极为强大的工具。它能够让玩家决定整个系统的大小,行星的数量,小行星的数量等。每个行星上都可以用滚动条工具来决定水和陆地的比例、森林和山脉的比例,还有其他的各种参数。一旦基本参数设定好,总体上太阳系就建立了。玩家接着还可以深入地编辑一些细节,例如道路和山脉等等。所有的地图都可以保存并上传到Ubernet的服务器上进行评分。

多窗口的游戏控制显示模式
只有最高系列和其他几个RTS支持多窗口控制,横扫千星也将支持这一模式。横扫千星的不同之处在于能够开多少个窗口只取决于玩家的电脑和网速状况。多窗口允许玩家同时看到地图上的多个部分。“你想怎么样就能怎么样,”Mavor咧嘴大笑,“如果你开20个窗口,那会变得很慢,对吧?”这源于可扩展性的方向。
“无论如何我们不保证能在最低配置的机器上开多个游戏窗口。你开的窗口越多,需要的带宽越大,需要的机器也越强力。”因为每个窗口都在展示游戏地图的不同部分,而这张地图跨越了整个太阳系。“我们支持多窗口模式的一部分原因是,战争的规模越大,你越难管理到方方面面。”
玩家可以使用无限制的多重显示或多窗口模式,但每个新开的窗口都需要额外的计算能力和网络带宽才能得以实现。当玩家超过4人之后,多窗口模式的最低配置要求会从一个简单的Sandy Bridge架构超级本上升到一台发烧级台式机。截至本文发稿,Uber还没有完成足够的测试来确定多玩家和多窗口模式下的最低配置要求。

暂时只支持PC,也许会支持平板
我和Mavor讨论了RTS流派和家用机,他对家用机非常不满也不打算推出家用机版本,简单地说,“我不知道怎么在家用机上玩这个游戏。”便携终端呢?“智能手机肯定不行——它们太娇小了,平板倒是可以。这个可以有,但还不是重点。我看不出有哪里不行。我觉得将来的某个时间会有的……其实我觉得这很拉风。”

它不能冠以TA之名,但是我们一直在为此努力
很不幸,TA是一个已经消失的品牌。原因很简单,TA的版权现在在Atari公司手里。TA的原发行商GT公司已经被Atari收购。Atari即原来的infogames,最终买下了Atari这个名字并成为今天的Atari。然而新生不久的Atari并没有出售TA版权的意愿,Mavor跟他们商谈过品牌所有权问题,但双方无法达成一致。
“多年来很多人想得到TA的所有权,但没有一个成功的。我想可能是Atari开价太高了,可是他们从未给我一个报价。”
对于TA粉们来说那意味着单位不能用TA里的名字了,但整体游戏风格还是TA向的。“他们没有起诉最高系列。我们不是要试着做个续集;我们也不会说这是TA2.”

为何选择众筹平台(Kickstarter)而不是某个发行商
“我们想要为粉丝们做这个游戏。我们不想为发行商做这件事。我们不想坐下来然后说,‘什么游戏能搞到最多的钱?’我们想说‘什么样的游戏是最有意思的?’我把这个游戏当成是一种对粉丝的服务,而我本身就是一个粉丝,我自己就在享受这种服务。”
“发行商只会搞得一团糟。我确信。我是说或许真的有某个不是那样的发行商,只是我还没遇到过。我们关注的是做出一个好玩的游戏,他们关心的是赚钱。”
横扫千星在众筹平台上的资金募集活动已近尾声,最后截止日期是XXXXXX(已经结束了)。

无责任人翻,无数地方原文不甚明了,纯粹靠直觉,欢迎挑刺。
p.s 做个游戏真难啊,什么硬件、软件、天文学、版权、发行都要懂……

辛苦了

ct 不管了吗

这个游戏和ct(泰勒?)没啥关系了。

翻译超级给力,赞一个。

游戏规划很给力,50%完成也很有难度。