[原创翻译]《横扫千军史记》连载八

[b]CaesarZX:

[/b]
对于RTS游戏《横扫千军》的制作,GeoffreyKeighley的文章已经不足以全面讲述那段历史,而加入一个亲自参与此游戏制作的人物的视角,我们就可以看到一个更完整的横扫千军诞生史。 这篇连载作者是《横扫千军》美工总监Clayton Kauzlaric,他从去年9月开始在他自己的Blog上连载自己在Cavedog参与制作《横扫千军》 的经历。本连载由我CaesarZX的blog游戏编年史的主人无声畅游合作翻译推出。

无声畅游 译

第六章补完

那些熟悉严格新闻标准的朋友们,我同样是一个视事实真相为生命的人——除非是阿布那样的富翁,才有可能收买到我。我记得之前提到过那个霉运缠身的Boris"巨兽",它真有100×100个屏幕那么大吗?

我的良心告诉我必须向读者澄清此事,为此我,我仔细查阅了大量被磨得稀烂的光盘——冒着被光盘爆裂戳瞎眼睛的危险。苍天不负有心人,我终于在一天晚上找到了这张地图的原始资料:

以上便是Boris的庞大区域,大致接近原始设计概貌。其中,每一个方格就有5×5个屏幕大小(也就是每边2560个像素)。我记得每块大陆之间的大片海洋地区是后来加入的,最终将Boris扩充到40×40屏幕,离我先前说的100×100还有不小差距,可依然是97年的主流配置电脑所无法承受的。Boris的实际面积大得吓人,它那独特的砖瓦式地表设计同样极吃内存。

回想起来,Boris也许只是看起来像100×100大,这就好比一个学校操场恶霸喜欢一手抓着一个无助的可怜虫,一手捏着一根扭曲金属棍般,有些虚张声势了。

我后悔记错了准确的面积数字,我向广大朋友道歉——但我还是最应该向Boris道歉——它原本是有着光明前景的。只能说,Boris超前于它那个时代了。可怜的家伙。

待续
[indent]
Part 6.1.4: First Ink Amended

Those of you familiar with the high journalistic standards here atTon of Clay know the premium I place on the truth — A premium so highonly the very rich can afford to bribe me. I started thinking about myreference to the ill-fated demo map called Boris. Was the map really100×100 screens?
I had to verify this for you, the reader. Yea, though I sift throughmany a worn CD-ROM, risking flying shards of frail, shattered disk inmy eye, I will persevere. Anyway, I got curious and found the remainsof the original map earlier this evening.
Above are the sections of Boris, assembled in somethingapproximating the original design. Each square chunk was about 5 by 5screens (2560 pixels on a side). I recall now that the plan was toexpand this by placing large strips of open water between each type ofterrain. So, the ultimate goal for Boris was probably closer to a mere40×40 screens. Much smaller, but still insanely big for an averagecomputer in 1997. The real problem was partly the physical dimensions,but also the high number of memory-gobbling unique tiles in this design.
In retrospect, Boris just seemed like 100×100 screens, much asmemories of a playground bully can make them seem like they were tenfeet tall, with a helpless nerd in one hand and a twisted jungle gym inthe other.
I regret the the lapse in accuracy extremely. I apologize to my vastreadership - but I mostly apologize to Boris. He just wanted to beloved and probably came From a tough neighborhood. Boris was, ifanything, simply ahead of his time. Poor little fella.
[/indent]

[ 本帖最后由 caesarzx 于 2007-6-16 19:44 编辑 ]

CaesarZX:

GFW的针对Flickr的“和谐”可以用Firefox浏览器的插件直接解决!与我们有同样遭遇的伊朗人开发了Access Flickr! 这个插件! 只要打开Firefox浏览器并下载安装后,不需要任何设置, 重新启动Firefox再访问Flickr完全没有障碍!也就是说,本博所有图片将在FF和某伊朗人的功劳下重见天日!

(正确安装FF浏览器和此插件后,上图应该可见)

Firefox浏览器下载:英文版 中文版

那个伟大的插件在**这里下载**

:handshake
继续

顶~~~~~~~~~~~